My favorite part of the Oscars (and for a lot of folks if Pinterest is any indication) is watching the celebrities walk the red carpet. Who wore what, how, and why is endlessly fascinating to me, I suppose because I will probably never be in a position to wear anything that fancy-shmancy. The last time I wore anything that might even be considered remotely appropriate on a red carpet was on my wedding day – and we’re talking appropriate for a red carpet in the 1980s. And chances are I probably won’t have the opportunity to wear anything that ritzy again until my son’s wedding, and that’s a loooong way off.
But if I were to end up somehow attending the Oscars I would be a) astounded – how the hell did that happen?? and b) determined not to end up on some worst dressed list. My watchwords are understated, elegant and classic.
So when I saw this Carolina Herrera ball skirt paired with a simple white shirt, I knew it was made for me.
Classic? You betcha!
Safe and boring? Perhaps, but I prefer to think of it as timeless. And the fun part is I get to snazz it up with accessories!! Red carpet-worthy accessories. . .
I’d add a pop of color with this ruby and diamond necklace from Harry Winston:
With such a statement necklace I’d keep the earrings simple, again with Harry Winston:
I’ll forgo a bracelet in favor of a ring, like this antique beauty circa 1915 via Sotheby’s:
Some Jimmy Choo shoes:
and a Marchesa clutch; something small because the skirt has pockets!!
So what do you think about my Oscar wardrobe choices? What would you wear? Let me know in the comments!
Me! I am certainly enjoying an embarrassment of riches lately! Just last month I thoroughly enjoyed a game of blog tag initiated by the engaging Kathy Lashley, and now I have been nominated by the lovely What Jane Read Next for the Beautiful Blogger Award! I picture myself gliding across the stage in an elegant Marchesa gown to accept my award, which is a glittering Swarovski crystal laptop (jeez, this thing is heavy) as the crowd shouts out my name – “Mom? Mom?? MOM!!” Oh wait, that’s my son. . . well, back to reality!
The rules of this game are simple: share seven things about yourself and then nominate seven other bloggers.
First, I’ll share:
- I love action movies – Transformers, Mission Impossible, Die Hard – anything with heroes, villains, explosions, aliens, totally improbable plot lines, etc., and I’m in.
- My favorite flower is the peony, and they’re in season right now. Their lush blooms and delicate scent are so evocative of spring for me.
- I don’t like getting manicures; I’d rather do it myself. But I would get a pedicure every day of the week if I could. Go figure.
- Unlike What Jane Read Next, I love listening to the Gotye song “Somebody That I Used to Know” precisely because it reminds me of somebody that I used to know.
- My favorite place to be is the beach, and I would love to have a house by the ocean someday.
- Last summer when I went to Rome on vacation, I fell in love with burrata, a delicious cheese that originates from Puglia – delizioso!
- It is very unfortunate that I am allergic to both dogs and cats, (I had to take my son to the allergist with me so the doctor could explain it to him because he wouldn’t believe me) so we have fish – sometimes.
Now, the nominations for the Beautiful Blogger Award go to:
I look forward to learning more about these great bloggers and thanks again to What Jane Read Next for thinking of me!
Photos courtesy of theKitchn.com and Google Images